Saturday, February 23, 2013

An Interview with Sobe Charles - Producer of Tale of Sorrow (TOO EXCLUSIVE)

I recently had the pleasure of sitting down with Sobe Charles , One of the fast rising Nollywood film producers and the Producer of Tale of Sorrow which was nominated for African in Motion film festival (AIM) scotland..

I'm happy to have u here today. Can you tell my readers alittle about yourself? 


- Thanks for having me. My name is Sobe Charles. 

So what do you do?

- Well, I am a filmmaker, I write, Produce and act......but currently just finished taking courses on Directing so will add that to my CV soon too *smiles*

How many movies have you produced. (As a producer or as an actor?)

- As a producer ...well basically 3. 2 short films, Tale Of Sorrow, which was nominated for African in Motion Film festival (AIM) Scotland best short film in 2012, then I went ahead to produce a short film on Climate change titled My duty for African Climate Change Center Scotland. 
I just finished my first featured film titled PATHS which starred the likes of Ken Erics, Chinwe Owoh, Queen Wokoma, Alex Paschaline and whole lot of others. It will soon be released for public viewing.


What lessons have you learnt so far from producing movies?

- I think the lessons I have learnt is from marketing and distribution. I thought shooting a film was not difficult until I gave it a trial. So, I have learnt how to plan ahead of time in the area of marketing and distribution. I have learnt how to work hard and to have patience.

When and how did you get involved in making this movie.


- Well I started in 2003 when I joined Association of Movie practitioners at Onitsha, then Ifeanyi Azodo was the president of the Association. My friend who knew that I have always been interested in Acting took there..from there my journey started.
 
So how has it been?
 
- So far so good, initially I started up as an actor, after so many years on the sideline, I decided is time to take the bull by the horn. So when I finished from Pefti I started up my own Production outfit, Sterling Entertainment and so far we are getting better by the day.


What has been your biggest challenge so far?

- Well I will say Funding.. Though we are getting there but our government, and cooperate bodies are yet to recognize the potentials in Nollywood. We need more sponsors to make good films that can compete favorably with Hollywood. We are talented and hard working we just need the funding and thats it, but like I said we are getting there.

In your own terms what does a movie producer actually do?
- Well I will say basically, he oversees a production from the pre-production to the Post-production.



Are there  times you get tired?

- Of course, sometimes you think the whole thing has gotten to an end. You will feel like quitting. But as such time, I try to encourage myself without looking at people’s faces. As I always tell people that success is doing what you like doing. Even though there is no money from it, you are happy anytime you see that. There is this inner joy and satisfaction you will derive and that has always been pushing me forward.


What are the qualities you look out before casting someone in a movie?

- Talent and delivery having in mind the character on the script,once U fit into d character and your good its yours. I don't believe in this Nigeria super star syndrome, I believe any great actor is a star and just needs an opportunity and that's actually the idea behind Sterling Entertainment.



Thank you for you're time sir, i look forward to seeing more masterpieces from your production team.

- Its always a pleasure , thanks for having me here.

1 comment:

  1. keep up the good work, God is your strength!

    ReplyDelete